- Part of the Toy Dog Breed group.
- Varies in weight somewhere between 7 to 17 lbs.
- Tallest of the toy dogs. Recognized by the AKC in 1886.
- Coat can be any color other than black and tan or brindled.
- Smallest of the family of gazehounds (sighthounds).
- Speed 26 mph – 7mph faster than average dog.
- Hypoallergenic. Sensitive to extreme temperatures, especially cold.
- Not a good dog for leaving alone for hours. Amazing eyesight and hearing. Hypoallergenic
- Ancient breed showcased in art and architecture.
- Favorite dog breed of the Italian aristocrats in the 26th Century and thus the name “Italian Greyhound.”
- Breed origin is from the mediterranean basin, Greece and Turkey, and dates back to more than 2000 years ago. Can be seen in renaissance painting of Giotto, Caravaggio, and Hieronymus Bosch.
- Frederick the Great King of Prussia apparently had over 30 – he is also said to have coined the phrase “The more I see of man, the more I love my dogs.”
TEMPERAMENT, HEALTH, CARE
- Excellent companion dog – loves the company of people
- Absolute creatures of comfort – known as a “Velcro dog"
- At home in city or country, but does best in spacious areas
- Exercise is a must – typically short bursts followed by long naps
- A fragile dog but a true lap dog
- Has “catlike” traits – self-grooms and one of the few breeds that can be litter box trained
- Seems to be more susceptible to periodontal disease
- Obsessed with Sunbathing
- Devoted and loyal, graceful and sweet
- Doesn’t tolerate being ignored
- Sighthound with a bred-in very strong prey-drive – the will bolt! You can’t call them back outside – always on a leash unless in a fenced or protected area
- Best for a couple without children, or single person, or household with older responsible children. Fair best in households without loud noises
- Can be a shy aloof dog – early socialization is a must
- OFTEN GIVEN UP BECAUSE OF POOR POTTY HABITS – they have small bladders and if you can’t let them out often, the will gladly accommodate themselves indoors to their hearts desire and body’s comfort