One of the best things about fall is when all the craft brewers put out their seasonally brewed fall deliciousness. We at Cabonnay always enjoy a good craft beer and these fall sensations have been top of mind as the seasons start to change up here in New England. As fall approaches, the Patriots take the field, you start changing the way you dress, and the foods and beers you crave. So sit back, turn on pre-season football, and read our top 5 picks for seasonal fall beers that will make you happy summer is ending and fall is rolling in.
1. Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale - No fall beer tasting would be complete without a signature pumpkin ale. The shipyard Pumpkin ale is an obvious choice but this pumpkin beer will have you coming back for more. The pumpkin flavors, while not overwhelming, are potent and perfect. Spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove will tease your tastebuds and make a delicious concoction of flavors in your mouth. The beer pours an amber color and has a potent pumpkin scent upon opening. This is a delish addition to your fall wardrobe!
2. Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Located just miles north of Boston, you had to know we would be including a beer from world famous brewer Sam Adams. From the moment you pour Octoberfest you are going to feel, see, smell, and touch a little piece of fall. The dark rich amber hues are remincient of a perfect fall day blanketed in fall foliage that would make any leaf peeper stop for another glance. This beer is brewed with German Noble Hops giving it a distinct bitter flavor but perfectly matched with hints of toffee and caramel. Pick up some of the Octoberfest as you cool down from the summer heat.
3. Dogfish Punkin Ale - Dogfish started brewing their Punkin Ale back in 1994 and it has become a fall staple every year since. This fall masterpiece was first pieced together for the Punkin Chuckin event located in the breweries home down in Delaware. This contest has grown to great heights as well as the Punkin Ale. The Punkin Ale is a brown ale that boast flavors of brown sugar and pumpkin. They use the actual pumpkin “guts” during the brewing process so the flavors are raw and rugged. You might pick up hints of caramel and spice while your sipping this clear fall winner. Grab a glass, a scarf, and enjoy.
4. Longtrail Harvest - When the Longtrail Harvest beer hits the shelves you can officially pack away your flip flops because fall has arrived. This delightful fall sensation hails from the great state of Vermont and isn’t shy about adding local ingredients like Vermont Maple Syrup Taste this beer while sitting around a campfire and let the drops of sweetness warm you from the inside out.
5. Woodchuck Hopsation Hard Cider - Woodchuck Brewing company is located in Vermont, and ideal state for apples and everything fall. They have been in the cider business for over 20 years, they clearly know what they are doing on this frontier. This particular hard cider was introduced to the market in the late summer of 2014 and was created to quench the thirst of someone who favors a hoppy brew but loves the flavors of a hard cider. The Hopsation is a light golden hue with tiny champagne-esque bubbles. With hints of citrus and green tart apples this cider goes down easy with just a splash of tartness and a pinch of sweet. This is a slam dunk when you are in the mood for a hard cider.