1. Pick the Spot - This is a beach picnic so you need to find a beach that will accommodate your picnic and a space that isn’t too crowded. If you want to picnic in the evening, the beach must allow for night time access. Another thing to consider in your search for the perfect spot, if you plan to bring wine, does the beach allow alcohol? Once you have found the perfect spot for your picnic you need to settle on the time of day in which you want your magical picnic to unfold. Are you looking for a beach picnic with full sunshine or are you dreaming about the sun going down in the background.
2. Pick the Wine - A beach picnic is the ultimate summer experience. When choosing your bottle of wine, think summer, light, fun, and crisp. We chose Chateau d’Esclans Whispering Angel Rose 2013. This is a beautiful decadent wine that truly lives up to its mysterious and delicate name. The pink hues of this wine looked magnificent in the summer sand and was the perfect compliment to our all natural bamboo cheese board and Cabonnay wine essentials kit. The natural wood looked amazing set upon our rustic blanket and our scene demonstrated perfect beachy bliss.
3. Pick the Food items - Food is equally important as wine when pulling off your perfect beach picnic. We chose to go light on the snacks and focus on the ambience and wine. We brought along some wholesome goodies, cheese, and casual snacks. The sky is the limit when choosing your picnic foods. If you don’t mind carrying more “luggage” bring cheese, grapes, nuts and other finger foods. These snacks are easily totable and compliment your wine. Keep in mind you will be dealing with sand and wind. Arrange your foods on a cutting board for easy preparation and it doubles as a tray!
4. Set the Scene - Setting the scene of your picnic can be really imaginative and whimsical. We quickly scoured the beach after we laid down our blanket and found some beautiful driftwood and seashells near by. Place a few large beach stones to double as weights and add character to your picnic. The completed scene looked fresh, relaxing, and each natural piece played a tactical role as well as adding to the beach ambiance. These added extras will impress your picnic date(s). The only thing left to do is sit back, sip your wine, and take in the sound of the waves crashing along the shoreline.
5. Bring the Wine Accessories - Don’t forget the wine accessories! It would be tragic to get to your destination without a wine opener. We brought along our Cabonnay Wine Essentials Starter Kit. This product is amazing, small enough to fit into your beach bag, but packed with everything you need to successfully pull off your beach picnic. Each piece in the kit comes in handy, the cork screw includes a knife for cutting foods. The wine stopper prevents sand from blowing in your bottle of wine, and the pourer makes pouring your wine on uneven turf a bit easier. We went above and beyond the call of duty and brought our "wine glass picnic stix”. (Coming soon the Cabonnay Emporium) These handy contraptions dug right into the sand and held our glasses perfectly so we could enjoy our day to the fullest. These are a must have item for any outdoor wine drinking. Finally, we packed our bamboo cutting board. We used our board as not only a way to prepare our food but as a tray for displaying and enjoying each item. This cut down on the need to pack a whole bunch of extra plates and dishes.
With these simple steps you will pull of the perfect beach picnic this summer. Relax, drink wonderful wine, listen to the waves of the ocean, breath in the ocean scented air, sit back and enjoy the perfect beach picnic. A break from reality and a truly blissful experience.